The SASM Council is pleased to announce the outcome of the SASM Travel Awards for the SASM Conference 2018.
In the Honours category, the awardees are:
- Jacobus Brink (UFS)
- Shakier Samie (US)
In the Master's category, the awardees are:
- M du Plooy (UFS)
- C. Jacobs (UKZN)
- T. Clements (US)
- O. Biko (US)
- N. Kennedy (UFS)
In the PhD category, the awardees are:
- K. Dithebe (UFS)
- M. King (UWC)
- R. Govender (DUT)
- L. Madu (UFS)
- E. Kgotle (UFS)
The SASM Council will like to congratulate all awardees and wish them a productive time at the SASM Conference.
Dear SASM member
The South African Society for Microbiology wishes to honour outstanding South African microbiologists who have contributed to significantly to the discipline, both nationally and internationally.
1. SASM is the voice of professional Microbiologists to the South African Council for Natural Science Professions and Government structures
2. SASM is affiliated to the International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS) with representatives in IUMS Committees, Commissions and Federations:
- Fanus Venter: International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP)
- Evodia Setati: The International Commission on Yeast (ICY)
- Pieter Gouws: The International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH)
- Chrissie Ray: International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV)
3. Direct links to international conferences and congresses presented by IUMS, including eligibility for IUMS travel grants.
4. Interact with microbiologists from South Africa and become part of the Microbiology Community.
5. Direct access to information about bursaries and post-doc opportunities.
6. A communication channel for job adverts, news, funding opportunities and matters affecting microbiology.
7. Discounted registration fees at SASM organised conferences
SASM2018 TRAVEL AWARD APPLICATIONS
SASM will sponsor the conference fees of 12 deserving students (2 Honours, 5 MSc and 5 PhD students) presenting at the SASM2018 congress in Muldersdrift in April 2018.
Compliments of the new year! The SASM conference is now less than 3 months away!
Kindly note the early bird registrations for the SASM 2018 conference closes on Friday 19 January 2018. If you want to benefit from the early bird rates, register online before closing date by follow the link www.sasm2018.co.za. If you have not received confirmation of acceptance of your presentation but want to benefit from the early bird rate, please continue with registration online. We will postpone payment date for early bird registrations to the end of January 2018.
Please note that submissions for Poster presentation will be closing on Monday 22 January 2018. If you are still planning on submitting a poster presentation, please be sure to do so on the website before the deadline.
For any assistance, do not hesitate to contact us.
Carla de Jager
Prof Fanus Venter
We are looking forward to receiving your registrations and presentations.