SASM News (191)
Dear SASM member
The South African Society for Microbiology wishes to honour outstanding South African microbiologists who have contributed to significantly to the discipline, both nationally and internationally.
1. SASM is the voice of professional Microbiologists to the South African Council for Natural Science Professions and Government structures
2. SASM is affiliated to the International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS) with representatives in IUMS Committees, Commissions and Federations:
- Fanus Venter: International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP)
- Evodia Setati: The International Commission on Yeast (ICY)
- Pieter Gouws: The International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH)
- Chrissie Ray: International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV)
3. Direct links to international conferences and congresses presented by IUMS, including eligibility for IUMS travel grants.
4. Interact with microbiologists from South Africa and become part of the Microbiology Community.
5. Direct access to information about bursaries and post-doc opportunities.
6. A communication channel for job adverts, news, funding opportunities and matters affecting microbiology.
7. Discounted registration fees at SASM organised conferences
SASM2018 TRAVEL AWARD APPLICATIONS
SASM will sponsor the conference fees of 12 deserving students (2 Honours, 5 MSc and 5 PhD students) presenting at the SASM2018 congress in Muldersdrift in April 2018.
Dear SASM member
As per the constitution, the term of office of several of the South African Society for Microbiology Council members will come to an end in April 2018. Thus SASM is accepting nominations for the following portfolios:
Compliments of the new year! The SASM conference is now less than 3 months away!
Kindly note the early bird registrations for the SASM 2018 conference closes on Friday 19 January 2018. If you want to benefit from the early bird rates, register online before closing date by follow the link www.sasm2018.co.za. If you have not received confirmation of acceptance of your presentation but want to benefit from the early bird rate, please continue with registration online. We will postpone payment date for early bird registrations to the end of January 2018.
Please note that submissions for Poster presentation will be closing on Monday 22 January 2018. If you are still planning on submitting a poster presentation, please be sure to do so on the website before the deadline.
For any assistance, do not hesitate to contact us.
Carla de Jager
Prof Fanus Venter
We are looking forward to receiving your registrations and presentations.
The Institute for Microbial Biotechnology and Metagenomics (IMBM) is a leading research unit based within the Department of Biotechnology. IMBM is committed to being a globally competitive institute through excellence in research and in the training of future research leaders. The Institute focuses on the research and development of novel, high-value natural products for the pharmaceutical, cosmeceutical, food and beverage and agricultural industries, as well as products for industrial processes.
Bergey’s Manual Trust will sponsor five travel awards for postgraduate students or other young investigators to attend BISMiS 2018 in South Africa. Three of these awards will be for any of the young participants with the other two targeting participants from Africa specifically. These awards will cover the conference registration and 3 nights of accommodation but will not cover any travelling costs to and from the meeting. An ad-hoc selection committee will evaluate the applications.
We require the SASM community's assistance to decide on a new SASM logo. Follow THIS LINK to vote for your favourite from a list of 13 new logo designs. You can only vote for one, so please choose judiciously. Voting closes next Tuesday 4 July @ 17h00.
Kindly note: These images are under copyright. It is unlawful to copy, crop, alter, remove watermark, reproduce, print, take a screenshot, cell phone pic, or right click to save any images.