To apply for the position please submit, in a single MS Word or PDF file:
- Letter of motivation (one A4 page maximum).
- CV highlighting only relevant qualifications and experience.
- Email addresses and daytime phone numbers of at least 3 referees.
Role and Responsibilities:
We are looking to appoint a full-time permanent R&D Senior Scientist. The successful candidate will report to the Team Leader and will be expected to contribute at all stages of engineered-product development, from conception to launch. Specifically, this includes ideation, protein-engineering methodology design and experimental execution followed by early stage product development.
- Contribute to a multidisciplinary team that is dedicated to developing innovative, world-class products for the NGS market.
- Keep abreast of advances in the NGS field, identify commercial opportunities and suggest new product ideas.
- Design and carry out high-level proof-of-concept protein engineering research to explore and validate new product ideas.
- Keep abreast of advances in the enzyme engineering field in order to develop strategies for engineering enzymes for relevant applications.
- Plan and execute research in a logical and efficient manner.
- Conduct regular project progress reviews to communicate key findings to team-members and management.
- Keep detailed records of all experiments and project-related information.
- Supervise, train and mentor junior scientists.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure knowledge transfer for effective further product development, launch and support.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- PhD or MSc in one or more relevant subjects such as molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics or biotechnology.
- In-depth knowledge, insight and experience with regard to molecular biology and its practical application in biotechnology.
- A proven history of innovative research and/or product development.
- Five years post-MSc or two years post-PhD relevant working experience.
- Practical experience in protein engineering by design and/or directed evolution.
- Practical experience with NGS and/or PCR-based methodologies.
- Specialist knowledge of other relevant fields such as evolution, molecular diagnostics, forensics, microfluidics or medical research.
- Previous experience supervising and mentoring junior scientists.
- The ability to critically evaluate and interpret experimental results, and articulate key findings within cross-functional teams.
- Experience in product or assay development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
The position requires an individual with strong analytical thinking and problem solving abilities. They must be persistent, proactive and inventive. They must be self-motivated and able to work independently, or as part of a team. Other desirable attributes include accountability, well developed communication skills and a strong work ethic.