Available funding: You may apply for up to a maximum of R125 000 for a PhD student (typically R100 000 + R25 000 for running costs) and R95 000 for an MSc student (R70 000 + R25 000 for running costs). You may also apply for top-up funds for post-docs (up to R125 000) or students already enrolled. In addition, we are able to also support a few Honours candidates to the value of approximately R45 000 per year + R10 000 for running costs. This money can only be used for student bursaries and associated running costs; or a contribution to post-doctoral fellowships. South African students are preferred, but foreign students are acceptable.
Funding themes: In line with the origin of the funds, research needs to be aimed at developing biocatalysis in South Africa, and as such, proposed projects must fulfil the aims of one of the three main themes:
- Development of existing South African biocatalysis technologies
- A new pipeline of biocatalysis routes, reactions and technologies
- Biocatalysis for biorefineries, with an emphasis on renewable chemicals.
Requirements: Cumulative semi-annual reports on research progress are compulsory and need to be submitted timeously in order to facilitate reporting to the DST. Each six-monthly addition to the report should be approximately a page of research outcomes and any biocatalysis-related activities. The student’s research proposal must also be submitted within the first six month period and appended to the report. All public exhibitions, reports, presentations and manuscripts must acknowledge the DST Biocatalysis Initiative.
Detailed application instructions:
- This application form needs to be completed by the principal investigator of the proposed project.
- You may apply for up to a maximum of R125 000 for a PhD student (R100 000 + R25 000 for running costs) and R95 000 for an MSc student (R70 000 + R25 000 for running costs). You may also apply for top-up funds for postdocs (R125 000) or students already enrolled. In addition, we are able to also support a few Honours candidates to the value of R50 000 per year + R12 500 for running costs.
- If you are applying for multiple students on a single project, indicate this clearly on the application form when prompted to. Ensure that your application contains details on which activities each student will undertake.
- A separate application form needs to be completed for each project. After you have completed the application for the first project, you will be asked if you wish to submit a second application, click yes to continue.
- Ensure that all sections are completed, those sections marked with an asterisk are compulsory. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications close on 27 February 2015. Late applications will not be considered.