About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Biomanufacturing Technologies competence area within the Bioscience unit. The incumbent will be involved in research and development of cost-effective biomanufacturing technologies for production of protein and enzyme reagents derived from metagenomics libaraires. Current projects offered include the development of production technologies for RNA/DNA manipulating enzymes such as polymerases, ligases and endonucleases; as well as protein conjugation enzymes. This position is based in Pretoria.
About the unit:
CSIR Biosciences generates new knowledge and cutting-edge tools that will support the local Bio-economy sector and support innovative product development by multinational companies. CSIR Biosciences focuses on the process and product development leveraging on technologies and R&D know-how it has built. The unit offers a dynamic multidisciplinary research environment with state-of-the-art research infrastructure. The Biomanufacturing Technologies competence area plays a central role in the unit’s focus of translating bio- based products, technologies and processes from discovery to commercial implementation in support of the emerging national bioeconomy.
- Contribute to the design, planning, execution and management of research projects, with a focus on recombinant production of protein and enzyme reagent (PER) products;
- Disseminate research through reports, technology demonstrators and scientific publications;
- Develop and produce working prototypes of PER products and distribute them for end-user testing;
- Present research findings internally, to clients as well as at national and international conferences;
- Assist with supervision and/or mentorship of junior staff and students;
- Contribute to the day-to-day running and maintenance of the research group and its laboratories;
- Assist with biomanufacturing-related projects currently running at the unit.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Doctoral degree in molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, bioprocess engineering or other related disciplines;
- Knowledge of recombinant protein production and purification, bioprocess development and/or characterisation of proteins and enzymes;
- Preference will be given to candidates with hands-on experience in the following techniques:
- DNA/RNA enzyme assays;
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Enthusiasm, self-motivation and a good work ethic;
- Commitment to learning, exploring, innovating and developing new skills;
- Ability to meticulously record scientific procedures and results;
- A desire to conduct research in a multidisciplinary product oriented research environment.
Closing date: 03 June 2016
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR is a responsible employer; we have put measures in place to ensure that equity is implemented such that it best serves the interests of the organisation and South Africa as a whole. This speaks to the CSIR’s commitment to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.