The Agricultural Research Council (ARC) is a premier science institution that conducts research with partners, develops human capital and foster innovation in support of the agricultural sector. It provides diagnostic, laboratory, analytical, agricultural engineering services, post-harvest technology development, agrochemical evaluation, consultation and advisory services, food processing technology services as well as various surveys and training interventions. Through its wider network of research institutes and experimental farms, the ARC provides a strong scientific base and a broadly distributed technology transfer capacity to the entire agricultural industry in South Africa.
The ARC- Onderstepoort Veterinary Research (ARC– OVR) seeks to appoint a highly skilled, experienced and dynamic person to the following positions at Pretoria: SPECIALIST RESEARCHER - VDD
Key Performance Areas:
- Conducts independent and specialised research as an internationally renowned specialist: Manage data capture, do advanced analysis, interpret and submit recommendations to research team,
- Compile detailed progress reports and approve final reports,
- Disseminate research results by presenting oral and poster contributions at national and international events,
- Publish popular, semi-scientific and peer-reviewed papers in journals with high impact factor,
- Establish and maintain networking Identify and generate intellectual property,
- Project Management: Conceptualizes and initiates new projects, project definition and develops research plans at both national and international level,
- Identifies the need for resources equipment and material in project’s and manages them accordingly within the team and/or specialised field,
- Ensures optimal utilisation of resources towards successful implementation and completion of the research and innovation projects within the area of responsibility towards national,international projects,
- Equipment and research materials are of international standard,
- Human resources Management: Managing the development of capacity and skills within the research team at an appropriate level within or outside the realm of projects and developing an appropriate transformation and succession plan for each research team,
- This includes the student development within the team and external Identifies the need for human resources in project(s) and manages the allocated resources,
- Identifies and participates in own learning opportunities to improve qualifications as well as improved performance within the Supervise or co-supervise students,
- Manage project budgets: Identifies long-term budget requirements and is accountable for compiling, monitoring and managing project budgets.
- Develop business cases for all project expenditure requirements,
- Write and submit research proposals and concept notes, with a proven success rate of project grants,
- Identifies risks and mitigation plans within the research focus area,
- Plan and co-ordinate research activities within multidisciplinary teams,
- Adheres to company policy and safety guidelines,
- Support senior research team in special research projects,
- Mentor Researchers in their assigned job responsibilities when
- PhD in the Life Sciences ,Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related,
- 7 - 8 Years of experience post PhD in a relevant research environment, academic or private and includes vaccine or diagnostic development,
- Proven international track record obtained research funding, relationships with national and international researchers,
- History of student supervision and must include MSc and PhD students,
- Minimum of 20 peer reviewed publications,
- Valid driver’s
Enquiries: Dr A.S Mather, Tel: (012) 529-9236
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 11 OCTOBER 2021
A competitive remuneration package will be congruent with the scope, responsibilities and the stature of the position. The appointment will be subject to a positive security clearance and preference will be given to South African citizens.
SAQA evaluation report must accompany foreign qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who do not receive any response four (4) weeks after the closing date must regard their applications as unsuccessful. The Agricultural Research Council is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles and processes of Employment Equity. The company has the right not to appoint.