The University of the Free State (UFS) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a postdoctoral fellowship under the auspices of the NRF SARChI Research Chair in Pathogenic Yeasts.
The fellowship will enable an outstanding doctoral graduate to obtain experience of research and innovation at a higher education institution under the mentorship of established researchers.
The fellowship is awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the applicants' academic achievements, publication outputs and research potential, as well as the relevance of prior experience and expertise. The fellowship is available for a period of one year, renewable for up to three years subject to satisfactory performance.
- Open to all South African and foreign nationals for full-time research at the University if the Free State.
- Graduated with a PhD degree in a relevant discipline within the last five years
- Successful applicants may not hold full-time salaried employment during the fellowship
- Successful applicants must be able to relocate to the UFS for the duration of the fellowship
VALUE OF THE FELLOWSHIP
- R 220,000 annual fellowship
- R 30,000 additional research expenses fund
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO
- Conduct innovative research on pathogenic yeast such as Candida spp. and Cryptococcus spp.
- Author/co-author at least three (3) publication per year in the form of DHET– accredited scholarly journal articles or books/chapters in books. The renewal of the fellowship beyond the first year depends on satisfactory performance and the submission of an annual progress report.
- Register and reside as postdoctoral research fellow at the UFS and participate in relevant activities of the School of Postgraduate Studies and the Directorate of Research
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
A PhD in Microbiology specializing in molecular biology and/or immunology and/or bioactive lipids of pathogenic yeasts
To apply, please email the following documentation by
- Motivation letter, including a 1-2 page outline of relevant expertise and experience
- Full CV including a list of research publications, conference papers and other scholarly output
- Full transcripts of academic record and copy of doctoral degree certificate
- Copy of ID document (or copy of passport in the case of foreign applicants)
- Contact details of two academic referees who have taught/supervised the candidate.
Closing date: 5 November 2018
Commencement of fellowship: 1 February 2019