The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has an Internship opportunity in the Biomanufacturing Technologies, within the Chemicals Cluster. The purpose of this Internship is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience through research and development of competitive technologies and innovative products under the guidance of researchers and engineers within cross-functional teams. These positions are based in Pretoria.
For more info about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/future-production-chemicals.
Under supervision, the Intern will be required to:
- Analyse and interpret experimental results;
- Willingness to learn about biocatalysis for industrial applications;
- Compile technical reports and other project related documents;
- Contribute to the planning and execution of experiments;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of standard operating procedures;
- Contribute and assist with laboratory inventory management;
- Take responsibility and custodianship of the laboratory;
- Prepare chemical and biological agents;
- Conduct routine general microbiology including enumeration of cells and streak/spread plating.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology or chemical engineering;
- Must have a ‘hands on’ approach with respect to equipment operation, and working in the laboratory;
- Must be Computer literate with MS Office Package;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written);
- The following skills are required:
- Self-motivated and a team player;
- Analytical, methodical, innovative and results driven;
- Willingness to learn and work under pressure;
- Pro-active and focused;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to prioritise and have a good sense of urgency and accuracy.
Closing date: 26 August 2021
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.