- Membership (National and International Scientific Societies)
- 4-SL /6-AP Years’ Experience in teaching and research in a tertiary education environment
- 3 years of Hands-on experience in laboratory molecular techniques including next-generation sequencing.
- 3 years’ Experience in working with the analysis of large-scale next-generation sequencing data and using standard bioinformatics tools and databases.
- 4-SL/ 6-AP Years’ experience in Publication track record in the field of specialization
- 4-SL/6-AP Years’ experience in Record of student supervision
- 4-SL/6-AP Years’ experience in obtaining external research funding evidence.
Other competency requirements:
- Specialized knowledge in both classical and molecular microbiology and practical techniques.
- Competent in nucleic acid isolation, PCR and qPCR, next-generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation including RNAseq, 16S rRNA, shotgun metagenomics, and bioinformatics tools for sequence data analysis
- Teach undergraduate and Honours modules
- Develop new modules and adapt content of existing modules to keep up with current trends in the field
- Supervision of Masters and Doctoral students
- Obtain research funds and manage research projects
- Produce high quality, accredited and peer-reviewed research outputs
- General administrative tasks related to teaching and research
- Motivation for independent scientific work, decisiveness, attention to detail
- Ability to work within time and budgetary constraints to solve scientific problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to interpret and summaries scientific results clearly
- Capacity for teamwork and collaboration
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills
- Good interpersonal relationships
- Demonstrate language proficiency to function optimally in the multilingual environment of the NWU
- SACNASP registration
- 3 years Postdoctoral experience
- Teaching and Learning
- Community engagement and academic scholarship