The Molecular Mycology laboratory at the School of Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB), University of the Witwatersrand, in association with The Root (Pty) Ltd, invites applications by suitably qualified persons to join our dynamic, multicultural research group for postgraduate studies.
One (1) PhD position:
One PhD position on the metabolic engineering of microbes to produce cannabinoids of medical relevance. Candidates will be tasked with identifying relevant genes/proteins from omics data and the subsequent metabolic engineering of suitable expression hosts.
Four (4) MSc positions:
Four MSc positions on the metabolic engineering of microbes to produce cannabinoids of medical relevance. Candidates will be tasked with the cloning and expression of key enzymes within select expression hosts.
- Applicants must be South African citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be under 30 years of age.
For the PhD position:
- An MSc degree in Microbiology or Biotechnology awarded with a minimum mark of 70%.
- Experience in working with yeast, heterologous protein expression and omics data will be a benefit.
For the MSc positions:
- A BSc honours degree in Microbiology awarded with a minimum mark of 75%.
The successful applicant(s) will be expected to engage in full-time postgraduate studies under the supervision of Dr Angela Botes at MCB.
Comprehensive applications are invited, comprising of:
- A cover letting explaining why you are suitable for this position.
- An up-to-date CV.
- Copy of South African ID document.
- Contact details of two academic referees.
- Record of academic transcripts.
- An example of your academic writing skills, by either providing an article or chapter of your MSc dissertation or BSc honours research report.