The SASM Council is pleased to announce the outcome of the SASM Travel Awards for the SASM Conference 2018.
In the Honours category, the awardees are:
- Jacobus Brink (UFS)
- Shakier Samie (US)
In the Master's category, the awardees are:
- M du Plooy (UFS)
- C. Jacobs (UKZN)
- T. Clements (US)
- O. Biko (US)
- N. Kennedy (UFS)
In the PhD category, the awardees are:
- K. Dithebe (UFS)
- M. King (UWC)
- R. Govender (DUT)
- L. Madu (UFS)
- E. Kgotle (UFS)
The SASM Council will like to congratulate all awardees and wish them a productive time at the SASM Conference.
From 1 April 2018
The Institute for Microbial Biotechnology and Metagenomics (IMBM) is a leading research unit based within the Department of Biotechnology at the University of the Western Cape (UWC). The Institute is a global competitor in microbial biotechnology and metagenomics and is committed to excellence in research and the training of future research leaders. Its research encompasses a number of disciplines including microbiology, (meta)genomics, molecular biology, enzymology and bioinformatics, and employs culture-based approaches as well as cutting edge ”omics” strategies to study microbiomes, and identify novel biosynthetic gene clusters and metabolites. The Institute focuses on the research and development of novel, high-value natural products for the pharmaceutical, cosmeceutical, food & beverage and agricultural industries, as well as products for industrial processes.
Project Title: Regional microbial signatures in South African and Austrian vineyards
Scope of Research: The project is focused on understanding vineyard microbial ecosystems, in particular the influence of region of origin on the mycobiota of grapes. The postdoctoral candidate will have the opportunity to work on individual research as well as to work within a team (doctoral, masters and Hons level students), and in addition, to gain experience in supervision.
Dear SASM member
The South African Society for Microbiology wishes to honour outstanding South African microbiologists who have contributed to significantly to the discipline, both nationally and internationally.
1. SASM is the voice of professional Microbiologists to the South African Council for Natural Science Professions and Government structures
2. SASM is affiliated to the International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS) with representatives in IUMS Committees, Commissions and Federations:
- Fanus Venter: International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (ICSP)
- Evodia Setati: The International Commission on Yeast (ICY)
- Pieter Gouws: The International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH)
- Chrissie Ray: International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV)
3. Direct links to international conferences and congresses presented by IUMS, including eligibility for IUMS travel grants.
4. Interact with microbiologists from South Africa and become part of the Microbiology Community.
5. Direct access to information about bursaries and post-doc opportunities.
6. A communication channel for job adverts, news, funding opportunities and matters affecting microbiology.
7. Discounted registration fees at SASM organised conferences
SASM2018 TRAVEL AWARD APPLICATIONS
SASM will sponsor the conference fees of 12 deserving students (2 Honours, 5 MSc and 5 PhD students) presenting at the SASM2018 congress in Muldersdrift in April 2018.
Dear SASM member
As per the constitution, the term of office of several of the South African Society for Microbiology Council members will come to an end in April 2018. Thus SASM is accepting nominations for the following portfolios: