Three Postdoctoral Research Fellowships are available, funded through the SARChI Research Chair in MICROBIAL GENOMICS and associated with the following awards: EU H2020 BlueRemediomics, CSIR/TIA/DSI Industrial Biocatalysis Hub, DIPLOMICS and the BioBanks of South Africa. All the projects involve (meta)genome mining and the heterologous expression of genes or biosynthetic gene clusters to produce natural and novel high-value biochemicals for potential industrial and/or pharmaceutical assimilation.
• A PhD in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or a related discipline, that was awarded within the past 5 years
• The candidates must have expertise in any of the following:
• Microbial (meta)genomics research, with an emphasis on genome-guided biodiscovery
• Molecular biology, especially genetic engineering
• Marine natural products
• Analytical chemistry and associated techniques (such as HPLC, GC-MS, etc.)
The fellowships are for a period of one year, renewable for up to two or three years, depending on performance, funding availability and whether the candidate has previously held NRFfunding. The positions are available to start immediately. Preference will be given to South African citizens or permanent residents, and those with valid visas to South Africa extending through 2024.
We reserve the right not to make an appointment for this post.
The vacancies will remain open until filled, or withdrawn.