Welcome to the website of the South African Society for Microbiology (SASM). SASM is a non-profit professional association dedicated to the advancement of microbiological sciences in South Africa. Its members comprise microbiologists employed in universities, institutes, industry and government as well as student and corporate members. SASM has grown remarkably during the last four years and currently has over 600 members. Eligibility to become a full member of the Society is open to any person who holds at least a bachelor's degree or equivalent in microbiology or related field. Students majoring in microbiology are encouraged to sign up as student members.
Objectives of the society
- to promote the professional interests of microbiologists, to improve the standing of the profession and to uphold the dignity of an honourable profession;
- to act as official and representative mouthpiece of members of the profession;
- to create a channel by means of which the authorities may gauge the opinion of the profession regarding matters directly or indirectly affecting the profession;
- to promote high academic standards in the training of microbiologists and to proffer advice in this regard;
- to advise on the professional assessment of microbiologists;
- to receive and administer membership fees, other funds and donations for the furtherance of the general or specific objects of the Society;
- to lay down such rules as are deemed necessary for the proper functioning of the Society and the achievement of its various objects;
- to make awards;
- to further knowledge in the various microbiological disciplines and all areas in which it may be applied and to create channels of communication between members who share common interests;
- to promote affiliation with related scientific societies in South Africa and similar scientific societies beyond our borders;
- to collect and disseminate information on microbiology.